Rates and Reservations
RATES & RESERVATIONS – TARA MEDITATION CENTER
The following rates include the use of the Tara Meditation Center house, as well as access to the Earth Sanctuary property. Very reasonable rates have been established to encourage Sakya Monastery Members to use the Tara Meditation Center. If members feel that more value has been gained from the retreat than the modest fee they paid, they are encouraged to make additional donations to Sakya Monastery or to Earth Sanctuary.
Rates - Meditation Retreats
$35 / night / person
$210 / week / person
Day retreats: (this does not include overnight stay)
$25 / day / person
All retreatants must make reservations for the Tara Meditation Center in advance. Leaders of meditation groups need to set up a reservation for their group. To make a reservation: read the appropriate information on this website, then print, read, and fill out the two-page application form, as well as the release of liability form.
- Application Form for Retreat at Earth Sanctuary
- Release Form for Retreat at Earth Sanctuary (required)
Mail the forms to:
Sakya Monastery of Tibetan Buddhism
Attn: Tara Meditation Center
108 NW 83rd Street
Seattle, WA 98117 USA
(206) 789-2573 (call between 8 a.m. and 12 noon, Monday through Friday, or leave a phone message)
100% of the total amount is due at the time of your reservation in order to confirm and finalize the reservation. Checks (in U.S. Dollars), cash, or credit cards are accepted. If you cancel 30 days or more before your arrival date your deposit (minus a $25 Service Charge) will be returned. If your retreat proposal is not approved, the entire fee will be fully refunded.
Applicable taxes will be added to your final bill.
No refunds will be made for shortened stays.
You are responsible for transportation to and from the Tara Meditation Center.
We regret we cannot accommodate any children under 12 years of age.
We do not have accommodations for pets. However, there are four wild cats that live in the bushes and shrubs in the backyard. (They should not be allowed in the house.)
The check-in time is 2:00 p.m. The check-out time is Noon.
Guests must help pick up and clean the house before leaving.
What do you need to bring to the Meditation Center?
Depending on the length of your stay you may need to bring some or all of the following:
- Materials for your spiritual practice (scriptures, shrine photos, votive candles in containers, incense, bell, journal, etc.).
Clothing: For the Meditation Center: modest and comfortable clothing, including bathrobe and slippers. For walking the Earth Sanctuary property: hiking shoes and outdoor clothing appropriate to the season.
- Toiletries and clock.
- Food: Bring enough food for your stay. All food and drink must be kept in the kitchen area. You are responsible for preparing your own meals. Two supermarkets are located nearby.
For the safety of visitors and the protection of all living beings, we ask that you observe the following guidelines while you are at the Tara Meditation Center or on Earth Sanctuary property:
- No dogs or pets.
- Please treat the grounds, building and residents with care and respect. Return the areas which you used to the condition in which you found them or better.
- Be sensitive to birds and wildlife. Do not disturb or hurt any animals or birds, especially in nesting and breeding season.
- Hike only on the cleared trails. Remain outside of marked ecologically sensitive areas, including the bog island.
- Please do not swim or canoe in the ponds.
- No fires are allowed anywhere on the property.
- Please dress appropriately for the retreat setting: simple, modest, and comfortable clothes are preferred.
- Candles (only votives in containers are permitted) and incense are allowed in the main meditation room only. Candles and incense should not be left unattended.
- Illegal drugs, intoxicants, and firearms are not permitted.
- Abstain from stealing, sexual activity, and telling lies.
- Alcohol is permitted only in the context of certain ceremonies.
- Please do not smoke or chew tobacco anywhere on the property.
- Park in designated areas only. You may be asked to park your car on an adjacent property (gated) away from the house.
Please note that violating any of these guidelines is reason for termination